They say it only takes 21 days to form a new habit, however, the longer you do something the more natural it becomes. There are a number of things or habits, rather, that should be happening daily in a healthy lifestyle in order to get fit or stay fit and healthy:
- Keep it simple. One mistake I see people make more often than not is that they obsess over weight loss and they over complicate things. With weight loss, simplicity is KEY! Calories in, calories out. It really is as simple as that.
- Write it down. Recording your efforts in a journal is a great tool. This includes tracking the foods you eat as well as the workouts you are doing. Keeping a journal makes it easy to go back and see how you accomplished your goal, it holds you accountable for your actions (and inaction), it gives you an idea of what works for you and what doesn’t, and it also shows you where your strengths and weaknesses lie. I like using the MyFitnessPal app to track my meals.
- Have a positive mindset. If your goal is to lose weight, try not to think of it as a chore, this will put you in the wrong frame of mind for effective weight loss. MINDSET IS EVERYTHING!
- Stop eating before you are full. This really is common sense, but many of us are not in the habit of portion control. Overeating is the number one thing that keeps overweight people overweight. If you can make a habit of pushing the plate away before you get that full feeling you will be well on your way.
- Do something active daily. Sometimes the hardest part of this is just walking out the door.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself. We are our own worst critics, after all. You don’t have to be perfect. We all slip up at times, just pick yourself up and start again.
- Plan down time – Rest. Your body functions at its best when it has proper amounts of physical and mental exertion as well as periods of rest and relaxation, so don’t be afraid to take a rest day.
- Buy healthy food. If you have healthy food in your house, you will eat healthy food. Stick to the outside aisles in the grocery store. Natural, whole foods are the best. Try to stay away from packaged and convenience foods.
If these habits are not already in your daily routine, try focusing on one at a time and pretty soon you will be doing them without even having to think about it. Remember, it only takes 21 days.
You’ve got this!